Tuesday, November 26, 2013
This photo originally appeared in FamilyFun Magazine
Dip into your recycling bin and craft cabinet for supplies, then have each tyke make a tom.
by Debra Immergut | Photograph by Alexandra Grablewski
What you'll need
- 7 colorful plastic bags
- 3 pipe cleaners (at least one should be red)
- tacky glue
- 1-inch pom-pom
- 2 tiny white pom-poms
- yellow craft foam
- black marker
How to make it
- Cut the handles and bottoms off four plastic bags. Trim the bags into 7- by 9-inch sheets and stack them, as shown. Starting on a short side, make 1-inch accordion folds.
- Tie the folded stack at the center with a pipe cleaner.
- Gently separate the layers, creating a puffy ball shape. With scissors, trim the body to the desired size.
- Make the tail: Cut the handles and bottoms off the remaining bags and trim them into 13- by 8-inch sheets. Starting on a short side, make 1-inch accordion folds. Tie the folded stack at the center with a pipe cleaner; do not separate the layers. Trim the tail to the desired size.
- Finish the turkey: Twist the pipe cleaners together to join the body and tail; this will also create the neck. Form a small loop at the neck's end. With tacky glue, adhere the large pom-pom to the loop. Glue on white pom-poms for eyes, a yellow foam beak, and a red pipe cleaner snood. Draw on the pupils.
Courtesy of FamilyFun Magazine
Friday, November 22, 2013
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Friday, November 15, 2013
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour
MAKES: 32 servings
7 drops yellow food coloring
32 miniature peanut butter cups
1 package (11-1/2 ounces) fudge-striped cookies
32 pieces orange mini Chiclets gum
1 cookie equals 130 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
- In a small shallow bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Remove paper liners from peanut butter cups.
- Holding the bottom of a peanut butter cup, dip top of cup in yellow frosting. Position over center hole on the bottom of cookie, forming the hatband and crown. Add a buckle of Chiclets gum. Repeat with remaining cups and cookies. Yield: 32 cookies.
Originally published as Pilgrim Hat Cookies in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p34