This photo originally appeared in FamilyFun Magazine
Dip into your recycling bin and craft cabinet for supplies, then have each tyke make a tom.
What you'll need
- 7 colorful plastic bags
- 3 pipe cleaners (at least one should be red)
- tacky glue
- 1-inch pom-pom
- 2 tiny white pom-poms
- yellow craft foam
- black marker
How to make it
- Cut the handles and bottoms off four plastic bags. Trim the bags into 7- by 9-inch sheets and stack them, as shown. Starting on a short side, make 1-inch accordion folds.
- Tie the folded stack at the center with a pipe cleaner.
- Gently separate the layers, creating a puffy ball shape. With scissors, trim the body to the desired size.
- Make the tail: Cut the handles and bottoms off the remaining bags and trim them into 13- by 8-inch sheets. Starting on a short side, make 1-inch accordion folds. Tie the folded stack at the center with a pipe cleaner; do not separate the layers. Trim the tail to the desired size.
- Finish the turkey: Twist the pipe cleaners together to join the body and tail; this will also create the neck. Form a small loop at the neck's end. With tacky glue, adhere the large pom-pom to the loop. Glue on white pom-poms for eyes, a yellow foam beak, and a red pipe cleaner snood. Draw on the pupils.
Courtesy of FamilyFun Magazine